Media & Events
- Media Statement: Information Regulator warns against the processing of Personal Information of data subjects without their consent, 13 Jul 2021
The Information Regulator notes with concern the photographs of former President Jacob Zuma distributed through social media taken at a facility of the Department of Correctional Services (DCS).
- Media Statement: Information Regulator to take over PAIA functions from the South African Human Rights Commission, 29 June 2021
As of 30 June 2021 the Information Regulator will be taking over the regulatory mandate functions relating to the Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) 2000.
- Media Statement: Invitation for applications for exemptions from a condition for lawful processing of personal information, 22 Jun 2021
Responsible parties may submit their applications for exemption from a condition for lawful processing of personal information, in terms of section 37 of POPIA.
- Media Statement: Developments ahead of enforcement powers coming into effect, 22 Jun 2021
The Information Regulator has confirmed that there will be no deadline for registration of Information officers (IO) and Deputy Information Officers (DIO); this means that no responsible party will be held liable for not registering by 30 June 2021. This decision follows technical glitches with the registration portal and numerous concerns raised by responsible parties regarding the registration process.
- Media Statement: Information Regulator publishes the Guidance Note for Registration of Information Officers, 01 Apr 2021
The Information Regulator (IR) of South Africa has published the Guidance Note for the registration of Information Officers (IOs) and Deputy Information Officers (DIOs), in order to ensure proper understanding of the legislative requirements.
- Media Statement: 100 day countdown to be POPIA compliant, 24 March 2021
Today marks 100 days to the deadline for public and private bodies to ensure that their processing of personal information conforms to the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA). In preparation for the full implementation and enforcement of POPIA on 1 July 2021, the Information Regulator (IR) has prioritised the following processes .
The Information Regulator (IR) South Africa has noted with concern the statement released by WhatsApp, detailing changes that a user will face if they ignore Facebook’s terms by the May 15 deadline. If users will not accept the terms, for a short time these users will be able to receive calls and notifications, but will not be able to read or send messages from the app.
- Notice: Commencement of the Regulations issued in terms of Section 112(2) , 22 Feb 2021
A notice will appear in the Government Gazette proclaiming the commencement of the Regulations issued in terms of Section 112(2) of the Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013 (Act No. 4 of 2013) as follows:
a) Regulation 4 will be effective on 1 May 2021;
b) Regulation 5 will be effective on 1 March 2021 and
c) the residual Regulations will be effective on 1 July 2021.
- Media Statement: Information Regulator supports key amendments to Electoral Laws Amendment Bill as proposed by the IEC, 09 Feb 2021
The Information Regulator (IR) has come out in support of amendments to section 16 of the Electoral Act, 73 of 1998 – in clause 8 of the Electoral Laws Amendment Bill, proposed by the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), which will allow the voter’s roll to continue to be accessed by the public.
View the Media Statements Archive
Engaging on POPIA and PAIA Compliance Webinar by the Information Regulator (South Africa) on 27 July 2021
View the transcript of the POPIA and PAIA Compliance Webinar [PDF]
View the PAIA Presentation or view the POPIA Presentation [PDF]
- POPIA Readiness Stakeholder Engagement Zoom Webinar by the Information Regulator (South Africa) on 15 July 2021View the transcript of the POPIA Readiness Stakeholder Engagement Zoom Webinar [PDF].
- POPIA Readiness Stakeholder Engagement Webinar, 25 May 2021
- 100 day countdown to be POPIA compliant, 24 Mar-01 Jul 2021
- International Data Privacy Day Webinar, 28 Jan 2021. View the invite and progamme.
- Briefing on the work of the Information Regulator by Adv. Pansy Tlakula, Chairperson Information Regulator, Strand Towers Hotel, Cape Town, 13 February 2017
- Follow this link to view the picture gallery.
- 40th International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners ( ICDPPC) in Brussels, 22-25 October 2018
The Information Regulator (Regulator) represented by the Adv. Pansy Tlakula, Adv. Collen Weapond and the Acting CEO, Mr. Mosalanyana Mosala attended the 40th International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners ( ICDPPC) in Brussels from 22-25 October 2018. The theme of the conference was, “Debating Ethics: Dignity and Respect in Data Driven Life.”
- Information Regulator meets with the delegation from the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, 06 September 2017
The Information Regulator (Regulator) had the pleasure of hosting the Right to Information (RTI) ON 6th September 2017 at its temporary location at the Corner of Thabo Sehume and Francis Baard, SALU BUILDING on the 23rd Floor. This visit by the South Asian Country is the first visit to the Regulator by a body with the same or similar functions.
- Information Regulator to promote access, protection of personal info, 20 February 2017
Newly-appointed members of the Information Regulator (South Africa) were introduced for the first time by the Justice and Constitutional Development Deputy Minister, Mr John Jeffery during a media briefing in Cape Town recently.