POPIA > CHAPTER 1 > Definitions & Purpose (Sections 1 – 2) POPIA > CHAPTER 1 > SECTION 1 > Definitions ‘‘POPIA’’ means Protection of Personal...Continue reading...
The Constitution of South Africa guarantees the most general right to privacy for all its citizens. The POPI Act (POPIA) provides the main protection for personal data privacy so far.
The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act) 4 of 2013 aims:
- to promote the protection of personal information (POPI) processed by public and private bodies;
- to introduce certain conditions so as to establish minimum requirements for the processing of personal information;
- to provide for the establishment of an Information Regulator to exercise certain powers and to perform certain duties and functions in terms of this Act and the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000;
- to provide for the issuing of codes of conduct;
- to provide for the rights of persons regarding unsolicited electronic communications and automated decision making;
- to regulate the flow of personal information across the borders of the Republic; and
- to provide for matters connected therewith.